Ubi Caritas

Monday, May 22, 2006

Step Three

I'm in Al-Anon; long story there. In any case, for those of you who are not familiar with Al-Anon or AA (yes, there IS a difference; Al-Anon is a support group for families and friends of alcoholics while AA is Alcoholics Anonymous and is a support group for --you guessed it--alcoholics) Step Three is "Turned our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him."
I've had a much harder time with that step than I had with Steps One and Two. Admitting I was powerless over alcohol/the effects of alcohol on others was something I had done kind of unconsciously; I had to think about it and make sure that there was no part of me that was saying "if I was just x (insert prettier, thinner, more helpful, nicer, other adjective here) then Mom wouldn't drink and Dad would get a job." Of course, there were a few shreds of that but once I confronted them head-on they went away. As far as coming to believe that a Power greater than myself could restore me to sanity, I knew somehow that there was sanity at the end of the road, and I also knew that there was no way in heck for me to achieve it alone. I just had to have the faith to say that, and I was willing to.
However, Step Three is a more active step. I had to turn myself over to God and allow Him to do with me as He sees fit. To my mind, I could take care of myself far better than anyone else (up to and including God) could, and there was no freaking way I was going to turn myself over to someone who I had always pictured as judge, jury and executioner.
My sponsor kept telling me to redefine my idea of God. I did that by writing down all the things I thought God was and, more necessarily, what He wasn't. At the end of that, I kind of liked my idea of God, but I couldn't believe in it. The idea of a wrathful God who didn't care much about what we did so long as we went through certain motions was firmly ensconced, and didn't seem to be going anywhere.
I learned this week that I was going to have to move. Now, I am in Texas, which is about a thousand miles away from my family. I am renting a small house with two other girls; it is owned by the school I went to this past year. I am not going there next year. I work, but I don't make enough to pay the $450-$500 or so of rent that I'd need to pay for a reasonably safe apartment, leaving aside utility bills. In addition to all this, I would need someplace with at least a washer, if not a dryer; I am allergic to the dyes/perfumes in fabric softener and scented detergent, and that stuff is impossible to not get in one's clothes if you use a public laundromat. That's leaving aside the migraines I get from the overwhelming fumes in such a place. Obviously, stuff can hang dry in a pinch, but you CAN'T wash everything by hand.
My folks are simply not going to come up with financial help. They are both trapped in a very sad disease (alcoholism); they are doing the best they can for now, but that best isn't enough to help me financially.
On Friday night, I realized that there was NOTHING I could do about this until Monday. I worked the weekend, but I had Monday off. So, I planned that I would spend much of Monday trying to find a room mate and apartment, but for the weekend I would give the whole situation to God to do as He wanted. So, I prayed something along the lines of, "God, I can't do anything about this now, and it is really worrying me. Take it, please. I'll deal with it Monday, but worrying about it now will only upset me. It's yours; do with it as You will." I left it at that. That simple prayer was extremely hard for me; in the back of my mind I was thinking that I would solve something by worrying about it, even though I KNEW I wouldn't. Insanity, huh? ;)
Anyhow, I didn't think about it at all on Saturday except to ask God to take it again. Sunday morning, I did the same thing. I happened to mention the rental situation to a friend at church yesterday. God must have inspired me to tell her, cause I wasn't planning on doing so. Anyhow, she stopped by my work later on that day to ask me if I would move in with her; she and her fiance didn't want her to live by herself or me to live by myself; we could split rent and utilities, which would make things MUCH easier on both of us financially.
I never even thought that something like that would happen, and it just fell into my hands.
I am walking on air. Letting go and letting God really does work!! Step Three was suddenly very, very easy; if He could accomplish this, surely He could do much better than I have been doing!
So, God, here is my will and my life. Take them, and do with them whatever You want!

1 Comments:

  • Hi, I found you through the Desperate Irish Housewife blog.

    Anyway, I hope things go well financially etc. as you continue in school. I am sending up a prayer for you right now (which is always the best way, because then you don't forget later). Fight the good fight! Carry on! And all that stuff!

    By Blogger joannmski, at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home